Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mushrooming

So, this post will be an attempt to catch up on some pretty cool happenings of the past month or so. There are lots of times I take pictures of an event or trip and they get filed in my "someday-when-I-don't-know-what-to-write-about-I'll-blog-about-this" folder. I don't know why they get reserved for "someday" but that "someday" has arrived!! Yay!



Mushrooming is probably my absolute favorite Spring activity! I look forward to it every year and start saving "mushroom bags" (aka. bread bags) in December. My father-in-law and I get pretty competitive when it comes to finding the elusive morel mushroom. It's a woodland delicacy around here and we love findin' 'em as much as we love eatin' 'em! Here are some shots from our first successful mushrooming venture of this season which was on April 18th. It was the earliest by a week that we had ever found them - how much more evidence do you need that global warming is real?? Morel season has passed but I can still share these photos with you.

Here were the main players:
Dan -

Father-in-law Dale -

Mother-in-law Lovell -

And myself - Did I mention that I found the FIRST mushroom of the season?? :) I was pretty happy about that (Dale... not so much...)

In the end we found a bucketload of morels and some Dryad's saddles (also edible - they smell a bit like melon and have a fresh taste - they're good raw as a salad topping)

After Dale got finished worshipping at the mushroom alter...

...we cleaned them up and cooked them for dinner. Some we simply sauteed in butter and others were breaded in egg and cracker crumbs and fried. (**Warning - this is NOT health food!!**)

We had them alongside some fresh steamed asparagus! (**FYI - This IS health food!**)

Another great things about mushrooming is getting to be out in the woods in the early springtime. The shades of green are so fantastic and the flowers are just starting to pop up. When all the 'shrooms had been picked, I took lots of photos of other pretty stuff. Here they are - Enjoy! (Click on any photo to see the larger version)

No comments:

Post a Comment