Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Friday, January 8, 2010

Another kumihimo project...

Well, I tried my hand at another kumihimo project but it certainly didn't turn out like I had hoped!! I decided to experiment with some fringy fibers and included two types of fancy yarns along with some ribbon of various sizes. These are cords and fibers I started with:



I got it all set up and settled in to watch "Julie and Julia" (what a great movie!!)...



By the end of the movie, my second rope was finished - here's how it turned out:



The fringy cords completely overwhelmed the ribbon-like cords! I still like the looks of it - it's sort of wild and exotic - but the beautiful golden browns of the ribbons were almost completely lost. Still, I'll have fun coming up with a pendant to go with it. So, now I know... And this brings me to another conclusion about kumihimo: I had thought I would make ropes to go with my pendants but instead I'm finding that I'm making pendants to go with the ropes. That's sort of an odd turn of events. :)

2 comments:

  1. what will you do with the ends of the cord/rope - just wondering. Bead caps maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking in the local big box craft stores for the right ends but haven't had any luck. I think Fire Mountain has something I could use but I'll probably just end up making beadwoven ends for them - that will look better anyway... hopefully... :) We'll see!

    ReplyDelete