Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My first soft sculpture

The idea of creating soft sculpture objects has been floating around in my mind for a very long time. Finally, last week I dove in! "The Artful Bird" by Abigail Patner Glassenberg has been hanging around my house for may weeks now. I am lucky to have a wonderful local library that (seems to) happily order just about any book I request. It ordered "The Artful Bird" on my recommendation and it has been in my possession since. Finally, they told me I couldn't renew it anymore (shucks!) so I decided I had better quit just looking at the darned thing and actually MAKE one of the projects in it. I chose the "beginner" project - The Wren.

The fabric I used was some embroidered vintage linen pieces I tea dyed during one of my private art retreats. I started by copying and cutting out the pattern pieces.
After cutting out the pieces for the main body, I had sewed them together, stuffed my bird with lots of fiber-fill and added some bent wire legs and feet. I was planning to photo each step but I was just too excited about making it and forgot to stop for pics.
After making the main body, the next step was to make the wing and tail pieces. I chose to use the embroidered sections of the vintage linens for the wings and tail. At first, I was cutting out each piece separately - the wing top, the wing back and the felt that I was using instead of batting.


Then I figured out that I just needed to cut out the wing back, stack the pieces and sew them together. After that it was easy to trim the pieces to the proper size. 
Again, I got too excited to take photos of turning the wing pieces and attaching them (*sorry*) but the wings were sewn to the body and embellished with antique shell buttons. For the eyes I used some pretty clear seed beads with gold color inside and finally the entire piece was balanced and the legs were wrapped with florist's tape. I did improvise on the beak - it is not the beak as shown in the book.

I had a great time making him and am quite fond of him! He will have to be part of my own private menagerie since I won't sell anything made for another's patterns but this little project has inspired me to try to develop my own. I hope you like him! :)
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Carol! Yes, he's pretty cute - I wish I could take all the credit but the patterns and instructions in Abigail's book are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete