Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Morning Coffee: Education... and the problems with it

This morning my good friend Kristine posted a link on Facebook to a manifesto recently written by Seth Godin entitled "Stop Stealing Dreams (What is School For?)" - download a .pdf copy here. It addresses many of the shortcomings of today's educational methods. I, as a certified educator who, disillusioned, quit the establishment of public education, am keenly interested in the effects of public school education on those it is supposed to be preparing for the "real world". Since my teaching degree was also in the arts - vocal/general music grades K-12 - and arts programs across the board are the first to fall victim to budget cuts, I am eager to cheer those who point out the importance of arts and humanities education. Anyway... her post got me thinking about it all again and I just wanted to share some links with you, just in case you are interested...

One of my favorite educational experts is Ken Robinson. As his website states: "Sir Ken Robinson, PhD is an internationally recognized leader in the development of education, creativity and innovation.  He is also one of the world’s leading speakers with a profound impact on audiences everywhere."

While I hope you will visit his website to learn more about him, you can see an earlier post on this blog about him here. I also hope you will enjoy this great video from The RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce) - an animation of a section of one of Sir Ken's TED Conference lectures:

No comments:

Post a Comment