Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Martha, Martha, Martha,...

I used to love Martha Stewart's TV show - I never admitted to it but I did love it. I also used to subscribe to her magazine but stopped. It had gotten a bit over-the-top and seemed that the photography, once beautiful, was not as good as it had been. This was YEARS ago and I have not looked back since, except... the other day when I picked up a back-issue at one of my favorite resale stores.

I always rifle through the mags, looking for cool ones like Elle Decor, Architectural Digest and Mary Englebreit's Home Companion (*sniff, sniff* - I still miss that one!). Well, I relented and grabbed the April 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living and was pleasantly surprised! The pictures and lay-out were lovely, the recipes were approachable, the home and garden articles did not require you to live on a pedigreed New England estate in order to incorporate the ideas into your own life. Somehow, the editorial staff of Living had found a way to speak to the normal, everyday person. 

The photos were always my favorite part of Martha Stewart Living and I found some wonderful color inspiration in this issue. Shades of teal and turquoise are always high on my list and the first few pages did not disappoint. Teal and turquoise combined with shades of yellow and tangerine orange with just a touch of minty green really caught my fancy.
 
As did the glimpses of "blue on blue" - various shades and textures of blue all mixed together.

Sometimes it's not so bad to be proven wrong. It's also nice to find inspiration in unexpected places - Don't you agree? :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and I haven't looked at Martha Stewart for the same reasons you gave it up. Then the stock fiasco happened and that was all she wrote for me. I am pretty put off her picking up and taking over right where she started. I can't admire someone if I can't admire their ethics.

    I do love finding back issues of magazines though. And I do like the simpler life!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete