Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 20, 2011

World Traveler cuff bracelet

"World Traveler" cuff bracelet

"World Traveler" is my latest creation. My husband thinks it has the look of something very old - which I love the idea of. Organic textures are perfect in their imperfection and, I may be biased here, but that's how I feel about this cuff. This I say even though the German part of my psyche longs for order and symmetry.


I feel the need to explain what I mean by that last statement:
There are many ways in which my German ancestry (75%) influences my daily life. First and foremost: I like rules and actually thrive in environments of regimentation. I honestly feel that the world runs better when we all follow the rules. I stay to the right when walking through a doorway, down a staircase, traveling along a hallway or aisle at the grocery store. I use my turn signal ALL THE TIME - even in parking lots because it's important other drivers and those intrepid pedestrians know what I intend to do next. These (and others but you don't want to get me going!!) were the rules I was raised with and, I have to tell you, honestly, they work (if you can get people to put down their cell phones long enough to actually care what else is going on in the world around them)!

**Ooops... sorry about that little rant...**

Where was I? Oh, yes! Order! Symmetry!... but then I get these visions which eerily resemble scenes from "The Wall" of people in lifeless masks marching in straight lines - endless conformity, no personality, no beauty, no art. So, luckily, the Irish in me (the other 25%) says bring on the Guinness and let's get a little sloppy!! :) Thank goodness! If it weren't for that bit o' blarney in my make-up I would still be working in education... or banking... yuk.



Anyway.... this cuff hails from the Irish side of my brain. Fashioned from vintage buttons and a mixed up bunch of glass beads held together by sturdy cotton string, I have decided to call this one "World Traveler". It's also comfy to wear! I hope you like it. :)

3 comments:

  1. We are such kindred spirits. Only I am half regimented and half wild. I like to follow rules about common sense, decency and safety, but all others, I break with abandon. LOVE the new bracelet. Stay creative,
    Cenya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute bracelet! Until I read your commentary, I would have said I am a non-conformist. But I realize that I follow most of the same ones you do and rules of ettiquette. But beyond that, I don't have too many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it !!!! I love the fact that an old button is the focal point but your eyes are actually drawn to everywhere because it's so colorful and different. Different is good. :)

    ReplyDelete