Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Friday, January 14, 2011

2011 - The Year to get Organized!!

Those of you have been following my blog for a while know my dirty little secret: I cannot, under any circumstances, despite the best of intentions, keep my studio (aka. walk-in closet) organized!! You will find several posts on the subject here, here, and here. This is the year, folks! This is the year I actually finish some of those "organizational" projects like getting all of my loose beads sorted...

As you can see from the photo, I am definitely making headway! I did SOOOO well when I started this project last year and then got sidetracked by... well... life, you know?? Other work has suffered as I try to tackle this job but it will all pay-off in the end! I still have several bags of beads to go. For many months now, this super fantastic and uber-cool vintage planter has been the repository for beads needing to be sorted. The pot measures 11" across the opening and seems to hold a bucket of beads! Bag by bag, I am making my way toward the bottom. Someday, this pretty planter might actually have a plant in it!!


2011 is also the year for new beginnings and re-beginnings. I have dedicated myself to learning more about my newest love - fiber arts - and have re-discovered how much I enjoyed bead stringing. As a beadweaver and bead embroidery artist I have been known to rail against "pretty beads on a string". Sorry for my bad behavior! Having found myself in a bit of a beading rut I am going back to "pretty beads on a string" for a while. I think much can be learned by revisiting skills you feel you are "past". Besides, I am loving simply making jewelry that is just pretty (and, dare I say, wearable and affordable) without the need to make it into a gallery piece.

So, I am also organizing my fabric and trims into color family bags. It's amazing how much one of those gallon sized zip locks can hold!!


And I have added a thread holder to my studio wall - what a difference THAT has made!


How nice to just scan and grab - the "scan and grab" method is my favorite way to gather supplies for a new project. All of these efforts are taking me closer to being able to that more effectively.

So, there is a short explanation as to why my shops and my blog have suffered as of late but it feels great to be getting these jobs done. Am I making a resolution to STAY organized?? Absolutely not!!! Setting myself up for failure puts a damper on my enthusiasm and seems like such a dreary thing to do... but feel free to keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment