Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 17, 2009

New projects and "Mexical Rose"

Mexicali Rose


When I am in need of inspiration, I will adventure into my *almost* ALWAYS messy studio... I mean, closet... and put together little baggies. These baggies include the components of a possible project - the focal piece(s), seed beads in coordinating colors along with other beads which fit the color-scheme, beading thread, possible clasps, etc... All of the treasures in the bag will either remain there until I decide (1.) I didn't really want to make that necklace after all, or (2.) I need that particular seed bead (or focal piece, or clasp, ...) for something else OR (3.) they will eventually become a finshed piece of beadwork.

I had pulled together some baggies and started on one project which gave me nothing but a headache. The focal is a beautiful jasper bead in shades of deep green, pink and white with just a wisp of lavender. I brought together a great mix of beads - rose quartz chips, mother-of-pearl beads, cultured pearls, malachite chips... Perfect, right??? Well, I started, stopped and tore it part 3 times before I finally decided that everything should go back into the bag for another day.

So, on to the next bag... This one had a lovely focal piece - a large shell with a vivid picture of a rose on it. The colors practically jump out at you - how can you go wrong with turquoise blue and fuchsia pink? (I am such a child of the 80's!!) Well, there was no tearing out on this one. It came together like a charm and I love how it looks!

I call it "Mexicali Rose". The large focal piece is set in a peyote stitch bezel and backed with suede leather - the edges are finished with a row of seed beads using brick stitch. The pendant is suspended from a spiral rope necklace with an adjustable, repurposed clasp in an antique brass finish. The pendant measures 3" x 3 1/2" not including the bail and the necklace can be 16" to 18" long. This necklace will be available in my "caraway" store on Etsy and also in my 1000 Markets shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment