Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Does a picture REALLY paint a thousand words?

Since starting to enter my jewelry into juried art/fine craft shows, I have been thinking a lot about my photos. Having been accepted into several juried gallery exhibits with photos I take myself, I have never doubted that I am, somehow, able to take pretty good pics of my beadwork and fiber creations. Today, though, I focused on the photos in my Etsy shops - particularly CindyCaraway where I sell my beadwork.

I noticed that some of my listings had thumbnail shots that didn't really show the piece very well. For instance, if I had a long shot of a necklace sometimes only the center of the photo would show on my shop page - here's an example:

The full photo of "After Midnight"...
Yes, it's a perfectly nice shot of this piece but when it shows up under my shop listings, it comes out looking like this...
Hardly a good view for showing what the piece really looks like.

So today I went into my shop and changed out first photos for most of my listings to shots like this...
These "collage" style shots allow for the entire necklace with a close-up to be seen as soon as one gets to my main shop page. I like it but I'm wondering what you think. Is this type of photo a good choice for my Etsy shops? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. First to answer your question, I don't think it would work on Etsy because of size limitations. But it is a great collage.

    Second, I love this piece, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete