Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Monday, November 14, 2011

The Winter Sort and Thrift Store Fashion

A fashionista I am not. Wish I were.... sometimes. My daily uniform consists mainly of an old ratty pair of sweatpants paired with an oversized men's shirt and turtleneck. It's about comfort and, in the winter, warmth. When one decides to work from home there is a danger of becoming like me. What has slowly happened over the past few years is that I virtually have no clothes aside from this scruffy uniform. Panic inevitably sets in any time there is a party or gallery opening because I just don't have cute clothes anymore! I have lots of cute friends with cute clothes and I'm starting to feel like the neighborhood frump.

The other day, as the first snow of the season was falling, I knew it was time to do the winter sort. Assess my warm weather clothes, put the worn-out and/or stained pieces in a bag to go away and carefully fold the keepers into the storage boxes until the thaw. Then comes the joy of pulling the old winter favorites from their hiding place. This is one of my most anticipated activities. You see, I love winter... and turtlenecks... and Pashmina scarves... and wool... and stocking caps. What amazed me as I set these beloved clothes out was how few of them had survived the spring sort.

On this sad day, I came to realize that I had exactly one pair of jeans worth wearing. One pair of jeans?? And exactly 2 winter sweaters - a beautiful Irish wool cable knit and a vintage Dale of Norway - both keepers to the nth degree. A handful of turtlenecks had survived without some sort of spot smack dab in the middle of the chest - but all of those were in some shade of dirt or faded black - you know... beige, tan, some drab grayish-green color, etc. I realized that things just have to change! No more frump girl.

So, I summoned up my courage, took a shower and set off for the local big box thrift shop - aka. Goodwill.

Four hours later (yes... you read that correctly... 4 HOURS!) I emerged victorious having found some very nice pieces: 2 new jackets, 2 turtleneck sweaters, 1 dress, 1 skirt and (yes!) a pair of jeans. I am now looking forward to having someplace special to go so that I can wear them. Fortunately, Mom and I are off to Chicago in a couple weeks to go to the One-of-a-Kind Show and enjoy the holiday lights along Michigan Ave.

These photos don't represent everything I found but you will get the idea, I hope:

First, my new favorite outfit: a cute denim jacket, a lime green silk cable knit turtleneck and a large weave plaid wool skirt! Paired with my black leather boots and black Ultrasuede skirt (both also resale store finds!) this will be a sweet outfit! Finish it off with one of my beadwork necklaces in just the right shades and I will NOT be embarrassed to be seen at the next artsy-fartsy event :)


I also brought home a vintage wool jacket originally from County Seat. Paired with the black turtleneck (and the aforementioned skirt and boots), this goes nicely with my favorite little cap (also a thrift store find!) and fabric flower brooch (my own creation)... or just the brooch if I'm not in a hat mood:

Orange has been one of my favorite colors for a couple of years now. I was very happy to find a pretty orange V-neck sweater that will go nicely under the denim jacket and show off my Aztec Amulet necklace:

Speaking of Orange, as I was unpacking the winter stuff I found a vintage wool jacket that I bought last year and never wore because I'm a big chicken. Well, no more! Next chance I get, I'm wearing this one with head-to-toe black and my Chameleon necklace. Let 'em look (I'm pretty sure they will!):

Finally, just because I love shopping resale (actually, I haven't, except for undergarments, bought new clothing in many, many, MANY years), here are some other thrift store finds from past trips that I will wear ALOT this season -

My boots...

...and my 2 Ultrasuede skirts!

I may have to splurge on some leggings!

3 comments:

  1. POW!! great color impact. You really did good.

    My closet is about in the same situation as yours was. I work in a shop factory and my uniform is jeans, a tee and either a over shirt, or zip up hoodie depending on the season. We rarely go "out" anywhere that some version of that won't work. I have been trying to wear brighter colors too, but they can be hard to find. Since I have lost a lot of weight with my recent health issues, most of my favs are too big, I'm glad and so sad at the same time.

    Tell me about the OOAK show in Chitown! Sounds like something my daughter and I should check out.

    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been out twice since the big shopping spree and have worn something "cute" (in my opinion, anyway!) both times! Yay!

    You really should check out the OOAK show - so fun but a bit overwhelming! So many people and so many beautiful handcrafted treasures... It would be simply heavenly if I had a bundle of money to spend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swapped out my summer clothes for my snuggly winter knits last weekend (fun!) since we were painting our BR (no fun at all!) Although I love my cold-weather wardrobe, I don't have a single piece as inspiring as your vintage jacket! And with that necklace - you'll be envied whenever you venture out!

    ReplyDelete