Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Friday, July 27, 2012

Working on my photos...

My light box set-up
I have changed my photo set-up several times during my years of selling goods online. Some have worked wonderfully and others... well... not so. In an effort to improve my pics a little bit and to align my shots with the ever increasing popularity of clean white backgrounds, I'm trying some new stuff.

Here's a necklace photographed on the hemp-covered display
 I just recently bought a new necklace display with a linen/hemp cloth surface and I thought I would like it but I don't all that much. When I went to the store yesterday to buy a white one, they didn't have any. I remembered seeing an online shop selling covers for necklace displays and checked those out but they were a little more than I really wanted to spend so... I made a quick dash to the fabric store and bought some white polar fleece. What I like about fleece fabric is that it diffuses light really well - you won't get any shiny spots and the texture of the fabric helps the light bounce around.

Here are some shots of making the cover for my necklace display - not really a "how-to" because I was improvising big-time and didn't take incredibly good pics but it seems to have worked OK and might be something you could try, too.

First, I cut a rough rounded square of fleece and stitched a running stitch around the edge...

I tightened the stitching to gather the fleece tightly around the form...

Here it is inside my light box. I think I need to change the small lamps out for some with "daylight" bulbs - the light coming from them now is too yellow so the color of the light inside the box isn't consistent - it's too cool in some spots and too warm in others...

Nonetheless, here is a shot of one of my "Way Out West" bead embroidery pendants...
Oh, well... still some work to do but getting closer!! :)

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. The fleece is better and thanks for the tip.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete