Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Some things just chap my hide...

I know that selling online has it's perils - you take photos that you feel are representative of your work, write detailed descriptions and you put it out there with a price you feel is fair. So, I made this fiber collage bag...
...which is completely hand sewn using vintage and reclaimed fabrics, trims, buttons, beads and gets lots of admirers at the art fairs. The price was $50, it sold last week on Etsy and I was happy about that!

Today I check to see if feedback was left for it and I find negative feedback with the comment "Definately overpriced". Anyway... spelling aside... someone bought something and didn't like it - it happens. What chaps my hide is not that she left negative feedback, it's that she didn't contact me first to let me know she was disappointed with her purchase. She could've sent an email to say, "Hey, I bought this bag from you and I don't really like it" and then allow me to help make the situation better. Also, she left negative feedback that isn't actually feedback. Tell me why you think this bag is overpriced: Was it not as described? Did you find the materials inferior? Poor craftsmanship? If you let me know the "why" behind the feedback then it's actually of value to both of us. I know Etsy gives you the opportunity to "Kiss and make up?" but I'm not so sure I feel too smoochy this morning (maybe I will later...). What if I don't feel like making nice? I am just as bad? Probably. But I would have been more than happy to get up-close and personal had she simply sent me a private convo.

Here's my last two-cents: Buying one-of-a-kind handmade items online can be a challenge. You don't get to hold the item, try it on, really see the size and shape. But it was handcrafted by a real person who took enough pride in it to put it out there for the world to see. If you take the leap and purchase and then regret it - give the seller a chance to help you. Be considerate and let them know why you're disappointed and how the situation can be made better - don't just slap them with negative feedback without reaching out first.

Sorry for this little morning rant but my hide is a wee bit chapped...

2 comments:

  1. Good grief. What a cheeky tart. Showing their lack of class. Its more likely that the bag wasnt what they expected and so they blame you for their own disapointment.I wouldnt "kiss n makeup "either
    regards Phillipa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phillipa,
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Ha! I love that phrase - "cheeky tart" - I think I'll start using that one! :)
    Cheers,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete