Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'm Obsessed!

Working with fabric has always been a love of mine so it might sound odd when I tell you that I sold my sewing machine at a garage sale last year. The reason is because we live in pretty limited space and there just isn't room for sewing - at  least on a machine. Way back when, I really enjoyed hand-sewing and did quite alot of it. I made a crazy quilt out of men's brocade ties and did all the fancy embroidery and added silk ribbon flowers, lace and such. Somehow, I got away from that but have really had a hankerin' lately to get out my fabric scraps, ribbon and embroidery floss. So, I did.

I have been admiring the jewelry and clothing with rolled fabric roses on it for a while now but yesterday I simply HAD to figure out how to make them! When I say I HAD to I mean I HAD to!! (Some of you know exactly what I'm talking about, don't you??).  At times like those, the internet truly is a magical thing. Do a Google search for just about anything and you will come up with 50 pages of websites that have information you might be interested in. I found about a hundred sites that offered advice, tutorials (for free and for sale) and You Tube videos. Anyway, I gave it my best try while watching "Pushing Daisies" (I miss that show). Here are some of my first attempts:

Some of these I'm going to use in necklaces but I decided to use my favorite as the centerpiece for a fancy embroidered, mixed media fabric cuff. I threw together an inspiration kit to get me started. Many of the components here will ultimately get used in the project but some will just be there for "moral support".

Then I thought it would be nice to have all of these pretty morsels in a small case so I can take this project on the road, if needed. I have 2 or 3 small vintage sewing boxes and decided to use one as my little travel sewing valise.

Everything fits so nicely, don't you think?? Now I just need some fancy little embroidery scissors. :)

2 comments:

  1. I like to hand sew too. Machines intimidate me!!

    I have been seeing a lot of gals in blog land making roses with frayed edges. I didn't think I would like that too well. But I was In Kohl's the other day and saw a maniquine wearing a military jacket with one of those frayed roses pinned to it. I loved it! I also like the satin ones with singed edges. I want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the roses and the cuff you made! Very beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete