Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Turban for "Radio Gals"

As some of you may know, I am in a rehearsals for a musical which opens the last weekend in July. It's called "Radio Gals" and takes place in 1927 Arkansas. The story revolves around a group of women who run an independent radio station. It's a comedy with lots of silly stuff going on. My character, Gladys, is a man-crazy, opera singing, artsy fart who meditates, reads horoscopes and is affectionately know as "Swami G". I volunteered to make my turban for the show. I thought I would share this little adventure with you!

I started out with an old hat from the costume department, some quilt batting, some pink polyester fabric scraps (Gladys LOVES pink!) and some vintage jewelry from my studio. I added some batting to the top of the hat to make it POOF out a bit and then covered it with a scrap of fabric. Then I took a long doubled-up piece of batting and wrapped it in a gathered length of the fabric. Then I wrapped that around the hat. After hand-sewing everything in place to be sure the original hat was completely covered, I added a silver-tone medallion and chain tassel to finish it off. Here I am wearing my finished creation, ready to summon the spirits of the great beyond!

I'm thinking about adding some more dangles and swags, but we'll see how crazy the director wants me to get on this! Tee, Hee! I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment