Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Tikka Masala - Latest Project

In an earlier post I told you about being invited to design some jewelry using the new line of clasps - "Elegant Elements" - from The Beadsmith. The first clasp was used to make a cuff bracelet called "Brocade". Read more about my "Be Elegant" adventure here.

The second piece - using "Elegant Elements" clasp #CLSP58GP - is now finished! It took me a bit but I really like the final result called "Tikka Masala". My husband and I have a circle of friends that meet for dinner once a week at our favorite (and the only one in Dubuque) Indian Restaurant - Hot & Spicy - and my favorite dish is the Paneer Tikka Masala. My husband thought the cuff looked "Indian" and the red/orange color palette reminded both of us of that tasty curry.

So... here is "Tikka Masala"!

I started in the usual way, by gathering bits and pieces together...
As expected, I don't use all of the components that get pulled but the items keep me focused on the color combo and overall look I want.

I finished the peyote bezels for the cabs...
...and was stuck!

It wasn't until I remembered some UFOs (Un-Finished Objects) in my studio that things seemed to click. When I first started working with fiber and fabric, I made this "Harvest Cuff"...
Hoping to make more, I prepared several background pieces but never used them...

These were exactly what I needed! I dug one out that I liked and made a cuff that ended up being a perfect fusion of fiber and beadwork! It was definitely a learning experience and the outcome was so nice that I think I will try to make more pieces that truly incorporate but fiber and beads.

Here are some shots of "Tikka Masala" - I hope you like them!

6 comments:

  1. It is so nice to be able to follow every step in your work! And the result is beautyful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love the way you used the fabric - it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia - thanks for stopping by! I have a great collection of fabric - I'm so glad I have a new way to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving the mixed media! The fabric and beads really blend effortlessly for you. Bravo Cindy. It's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing bracelet! I LOVE the colors and the style. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful selection of beads and colors. I love all your designs, but this is one of my favorites. Love how the background adds so much interest while echoing the colors in the beads. Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete