Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Monday, January 23, 2012

Re-make and make do

What do you do with projects that just don't sell?? I have several. most of those are large (aka. expensive) gallery pieces that I'm happy to keep around for gallery shows. Not that I wouldn't LOVE to send some of those off to new homes but... anyway...

I have a few pieces that I plan on tearing apart and re-doing. Here are the ones at the top of my "re-make and make do" list:

Here's Lookin' at You
There are things about this piece and matching earrings I adore - the combination of orange and blue and the evil eye theme - but I think it can be more than what it is at present. It was made for a beading challenge and probably rushed a bit to make the deadline. This one deserves a make-over.


Southwestern Cowgirl Steampunk
First off, this one just never got a "real" name and, second, the plethora of beads laying (I hate to say it!) uncomfortably about the neck just will NOT do. I love the concept and the center focal but it's just not working as it is.



Mosaic
This one came about because of a personal challenge I gave myself - you can read about it on my blog here. I found a nice jar of junk jewelry at a thrift shop and decided to see how many new pieces of jewelry I could craft from the beads and goodies in the jar. I did pretty well for a while, finishing half a dozen or so pieces but then decided it was time to move on to something else. I really do like this one but feel it has run its course - time to for this little caterpillar to become a butterfly!



Seaside Wedding
This one has been a favored selection in my shop for some time so some of you will probably wonder why I want to change it. Again, the theme and overall concept are great. I wanted it to look like something you might find washed ashore on a beautiful white sand beach (originally I wanted to call it "All Washed Up" but that wasn't quite romantic enough!). Lately, I have seen this one becoming something a bit fancier. I still hope to keep the organic nature of the piece but... we'll see.

So, I'm not sure when I'll get started on this little project but I'll be sure to keep you in the loop once it gets underway. Let me know what you think about putting earlier pieces "to pieces" and re-making them - I'd love to hear your comments! :)

3 comments:

  1. I think you should do whatever makes you happy. Recycling is a lovely thing and if you don't like what you have, and can make something better from it, and would enjoy the process, I say go for it. If any part of the process troubles you, annoys you, or makes you sad, then I say, leave it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! I was just considering the same thing this past weekend with several of mine. I love the evil eye piece, I had a similar large focal that recently that sold on Etsy - much to my surprise!

    http://antiquitytravelers.blogspot.com/2012/01/superstition-wearing-evil-eye.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the seaside and steampunk pieces! I occasionally redesign things that have not sold after a long time. It is sad but revitalizing too!

    ReplyDelete