Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Art Market

The Art Market is a local arts and crafts show held the 1st and 3rd Saturdays during June, July and August down along the riverfront in Dubuque, IA. The Art Market is put on by The Dubuque Art Center (in conjunction with other local sponsors) and I have taken part in the last two. This is the first time I have ventured into selling my wares "face-to-face" and I have really enjoyed the experience so far. Not that I have made a ton of money or anything. The little money I have made has come in handy but times these days are not easy for a lot of people and I make jewelry. No matter how you slice it, jewelry is a luxury item. 'Nuf said.

BUT I will say that I enjoy seeing people react to what I make and I love it when one of my creations goes off to a new home. I also like the feeling of accomplishment that comes from a day of honest work. Selling at fairs is hard work! It's definitely not for woosies and (for me, at least) takes some strategic planning to make sure you have all of you ducks in a row. The bottom line is that I really enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone who has been thinking about diving into doing weekend craft shows.

My advice is to start small and local. Borrow a tent canopy your first couple times out. Unless you know you will want to use a canopy anyway for backyard picnics and weekend camping trips, don't invest in one right away. If you start by doing shows locally, you will not have to worry too much about hotels, meals and travel expenses. And if you forget something, you will be close enough to (A) drive home and get it or (B) call someone who loves you enough to bring it to you.

Money aside, I find that I enjoy it. REALLY enjoy it! And I know I want to expand and continue exploring the art/craft show possibilities. Here are some shots from yesterday at The Art Market:

THE SHOW














MY BOOTH

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful booth display. Wish I could have been there to see all your creations up close!

    ReplyDelete