Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Monday, February 28, 2011

Gallery prep today!

I have a gallery show starting in March and have had a tough time deciding how to display my beadwork. After contacting the gallery manager, I got the feeling that secure display options (ie ~ glass cases, covered pedestals, the like...) were not really available at this particular space (it makes you wonder, then, why they chose jewelry to be displayed there!!) and the gallery is not insured to cover my artwork in case of theft or damage (*huh?!*). The worrier in me (and, trust me, I am a worrier) says, "Take your toys and go home!", "Don't even bother!", "Pass this one by!". Of course I want my work to be seen and appreciated. Of course I want more gallery shows on my resume. Of course...

This is something new for me. Every other space in which my work has been displayed, there have been large glass cases or locking covered pedestals and I felt my work was perfectly safe and secure. For this reason, I'm a bit nervous about this show...

So, here's what I decided to do: I mounted my beadwork onto plain artist canvas so it can be hung on the wall like the other art. It's got to be harder to put a necklace in your pocket if it's attached to an 8" x 10" canvas frame, right? Each canvas has been prepared to be hung and labeled with the name of the piece. Had I more time, I think it would be great to add a splash of color to the canvas - something understated like a watercolor wash. By the time I found out what my display options were and came up with this idea - time was not something I had to spare. Anyway, here's what I did with "Tortuga":


Even though I'm delivering everything to the gallery this afternoon and won't have time to see comments beforehand, I would like to know what you think of this idea. Leave me a comment with any thoughts or ideas about this - and cross you fingers for me! Thanks! :)

5 comments:

  1. Your piece is beautiful and looks very nice that way! I had a similar experience at a juried art show myself and did the same, however, I found it was a mistake. It was for that particular show and hopefully this one for you might be different. When I took my pieces in the people receiving them had a difficult time accepting the fact that they were jewelry pieces and not a 2-D picture category (I know I know -- crazy huh?) but I had to argue with them and then they were still hung in with other paintings and not with the 3-D categories at all and so many people did not understand what they were... just something to consider. What I do now is make a display board with the jewelry pieces attached that sit on a table instead of hanging and I don't have that same problem.

    hope it goes well for you at the show and if there are other jewelry pieces done in the same way of they are all put together in the same area then it should be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a BRILLIANT idea. It subliminally makes the viewer realize that this isn't just jewelry, it's art!
    As for thievery, if something goes missing from the show and they didn't have insurance (which they should be ashamed o themselves for!) would your homeowner's policy cover it?
    Good luck at the show.
    Cenya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good idea to me! It will be nice to have the pieces at eye-level so viewers can easily see all that beautiful detail.

    Hopefully they are not confused about what is for sale, though. Some might not understand that the canvas is just a way to display the jewelery, and assume you are selling wall art instead of wearable art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristine! Actually, if they pay for it, I don't care if they display it on the wall or themselves! :D

    The tag info for the show states the medium as "jewelry" so that should hopefully take care of any confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your jewelry creations mounted on canvas look exquisitely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete