Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fairy Tales and Fabulous Beadwork

Green bead soup all ready to go!

Well, "Better late than never" is how the saying goes and I am living proof of that! As of yesterday morning I was certain that I didn't have time to participate in the Etsy Beadweavers challenge for March themed "Fairy Tales". Entries are due by midnight on the 5th and it just didn't seem do-able. Not only had my entry not been started, it hadn't even been conceived! So finding myself with a little free time (which never happens, and shouldn't considering the amount of housework, organizing, and so on, that need to be done around here!! Dishes?? Who needs clean dishes? Anyway... :-P) I looked up "fairy tales" on Wikipedia and got a whole list. I was hoping while browsing the list that inspiration would take hold and present an idea for the challenge. Actually, nothing really struck me until I got to "The Wizard of OZ" which is funny because it's never been my favorite story or movie (even though I do love Judy Garland) but my favorite color is green and I immediately thought of the Emerald City. So, I hauled out some of my newly organized beads and made a pretty bead soup in shades of green. (**hold that thought**)


Now, here is where I should tell you about a fabulous bead artist whose blog I follow even though I can't read a word of it. The blog is titled "ibolya-gyongy" which translates to "Violet-beads". Violet is Hungarian and makes the most beautiful bead woven jewelry. Her latest pieces use a free-form brick stitch technique and they are truly out-of-this-world! Here are just a few examples of Violet's jewelry (visit her blog to see more!):

Violet's lovely pieces have inspired me to spend some time exploring free-form brick stitch and get back to making some larger scale pieces again. Now, my Emerald City cuff is by no means a "large-scale" project but I hope it is a jumping off point to bigger and better things to come. And, so, using her beautiful brick stitch technique as inspiration to improve my own, I have set off down the yellow brick road on a new bead-y adventure. Here are few shots of "Emerald City", in progress. Cross your fingers and I just might get it done in time! :)

 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by, Ibolya! I was going to email you to let you know I had linked to your blog (hoping you wouldn't mind!). I LOVE your beadwork - so inspiring!

    P.S. Your English is better than my Hungarian!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! I like your beadwork !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am acquiring a taste for green. I actually bought a green plaid shirt for spring. I have never had any green to wear on St. Pats day. Your bracelet is beautiful. You bead so fast! It would have taken me longer than that to make bead soup, which thanks to just receiveing Beverly Gilbert's book, I am going to try my hand at doing very soon.

    I received my give a way yesterday. Thank you so much.

    Good luck on the challenge.

    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete