Starting anew is always a good thing! Here is Vol. 1 of "Artful Living on the Bluff" for you to enjoy. While I am not contributing new material to this blog, please feel free to look around and then visit me at the new and (hopefully) improved "Artful Living on the Bluff" blog at artfullivingonthebluff.blogspot.com

Friday, November 21, 2014

Special Delivery

Close-up shot of "Tidepool" necklace by Cindy Caraway
I have been selling online for many years - since 2001, to be exact. I started on eBay with vintage art pottery - McCoy, Frankoma, etc - but didn't like worrying about breakage during shipping (and there was some need to worry about breakage, as it turned out!). Then there was a time in there where I simply sold anything vintage that I thought was cool - clothing, home decor, collectibles, furniture.... Yes, you heard that correctly... furniture! I once shipped a desk chair to Japan, for example, and a set of 4 Eames chairs to Toronto. Thankfully, I never got beyond chairs and the occasional lamp or 2 but even so... looking back, I have to admit, that was a little crazy! Finally, I landed on vintage clothing - the perfect thing to sell as it was easy to pack and ship and, at the time, easy to find (although nowadays, not so much - I was dealing in vintage clothing at just the right time, it would seem).

Although I do still have a seller account on eBay, I use it only sporadically when I have something to sell that can't be sold on Etsy. I do still purchase some items on eBay, though. Last week I was contacted by someone with a custom necklace request. What they really wanted was to purchase "Tidepool" but I had to break the news that it was now living somewhere near Chicago with it's new owner.

"Tidepool" was made several years ago by covering sections of a vintage Lucite necklace in freeform peyote beadwork. So, I went in search of another necklace that might work for the project. I found this one on eBay...

Now, I know this seems like a long, drawn-out story (and it is, sorry about that!) but, the necklace I ordered arrived today! And I was enchanted by the presentation.

AS a seller and customer on Etsy, I am used to special touches added to the packaging. Etsy sellers are known for the extra care they put into the packaging and shipping of items - eBay sellers, not so much... but Rita of kgvrw on eBay certainly went the extra mile!

Here's what I found upon opening the envelope...
Such a pretty note card...
...and fancy bamboo wrapping paper!
A handwritten "Thank you" note...
... and this beautiful necklace!
Soon these little Lucite sections will be covered in lovely freeform beadwork!
Rita rocks! I am a die-hard supporter of Etsy but I hope you will check out Rita's listings on eBay 'cause she's doing a great job! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment